Before we begin, let's all try this Socrative Questionnaire!
Room Name: SNC1W
Student ID: Your First Name
lesson 1: What is Science?
Hypothesis vs. Theory vs. Law - What's the diff?
- an educated guess, based on observation.
- can be supported or refuted through experimentation or more observation.
- A hypothesis can be disproven, but not proven to be true
- is an accepted hypothesis.
- summarizes a hypothesis that has been supported with repeated testing.
- is valid as long as there is no evidence to dispute it.
- generalizes a body of observations.
- At the time it is made, no exceptions have been found to a law.
- Scientific laws explain things, but they do not describe them.
- One way to tell a law and a theory apart is to ask if the description gives you a means to explain 'why'.
Fields of science:
FOR EACH OF THE FIELDS OF SCIENCE IN the chart in YOUR NOTES,
write down A simple DEFINITION:
Okay, weird Slime mold
Fun Fact: Slime mold is not a plant or animal. It's not a fungus, though it sometimes resembles one. Slime mold, in fact, is a soil-dwelling amoeba, a brainless, single-celled organism, often containing multiple nuclei.
...and an Embryology break?
Name that field of Science?
Quizlet: Lesson 1
Learn all about the fields of science on Quizlet!